August 14, 2006

The Dragon*Con hat

This is my hat for Dragon*Con, the big sci-fi/fantasy convention I'm going to with my DH and friends over Labor Day weekend. A big part of the whole experience is costuming. I'm not so much going to participate as to watch, but I thought I would at least like to have something interesting to wear while I'm there. The area I'm most interested in down there is the Youth Literature tracts, so after long consideration of various characters I decided to go as "Tiffany Aching" from Terry Pratchet's Discworld series The Wee Free Men and Hat Full of Sky

Here is what I patterned my hat after


Here is my hat with our messy "little" room behind it.


And here is what it looked like wearing it in the dusty mirror.


The little guy on the top kind of swings around while you walk.
I made the hat by copying the characters from the book cover, then creating backs for them so they'd work in 3 demensions and then had them laminated for sturdiness and sewed them on to the old witch's hat (which btw, I think I wore for halloween when I was 12 and my mother kept and used as decoration on our porch for years) with gold thread.

It will pale in comparison to most costumes down there, but if nothing else I hope it becomes a conversation piece.

5 comments:

madretz said...

I think it's an awesome rendition.
I love witches hats and brooms.

Inkling said...

Hooray! I kept checking back for your picture of the hat, and finally am rewarded for my labors. Very cool, very creative, and totally fun! Way to go!

Nan said...

Zann, I cannot tell you how glad I am that you are keeping this site alive! The hat looks terrific, and I'm heading for the bookstore this weekend or to Amazon tonight to get a copy of the book!

I know you are going to have so-o-o much fun. I've never heard of Dragon-Con but it sounds like a blast!

phinner said...

Very cool! You'll have to blog your experiences! I've very curious. We have those conventions in CA, but I've never been to one.

A Hat Full of Sky seems like an awesome story. I'm with Cate, I think I need to read this!

zann said...

Both of you should read The Wee Free Men first as it will give you a proper introduction to the Nac MacFeegle and Hat Full of Sky's main character, Tiffany Aching.